The Caring Meter is a device utilized by the inhabitants of the Kingdom of Caring to detect the levels of positive emotions present in others. When it drops too low, the Care Bears must go down to cheer the person up, stop No Heart's evil schemes, or Carealot will crumble and be destroyed.
Not much is known about it, although it is shown to have mechanical inner workings. Dark Heart once attempted to ruin the Care Bears by posing as a "Caring Meter Reader", to which he sabotaged the mechanisms of the Caring Meter.
The Caring meter will toll its bell to know what has happend on earth.
In The Care Bears Movie, The Caring meter is shown with 8 hearts, along with 3 colored zones: Red, (0-3) Yellow, (4-6) And Green. (7-8) It has shown to be cracked in some areas due to the cloud-quake that was caused by The Spirit.
In Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation, as well as The Care Bears Family television series, The Caring Meter is shown to have 12 hearts, in an un-numbered clock like fashion. Unlike the first movie, this meter has a bell inside, and is much larger. The pointer will move counter-clockwise as it drops. Depending on the number of bells the Caring Meter has tolled, the pointer will move the amount of hearts per toll. (Example: 3 tolls will equal 3 hearts.)
In The Care Bears' Big Wish Movie, It is dubbed "The Care-O-Meter", and has two sides: Raincloud, (Less caring) and the Rainbow. (More Caring) If the meter gets too close to the raincloud side, the Care Bears must try and prevent the meter from going even lower by going on caring missions.
The Caring Meter has been shown to malifunction in the series.
In Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation, while the Care Bears are setting up for a party, the pointer is spinning uncontrollably. It is unknown what caused the meter to malifunction this way.
In the television series, the meter has malifunctioned 2 other times:
- In the episode The Factory of Uncaring, the spike from Beastly's helmet stopped the pointer from moving, (thinking that the Care Bears won't notice any problems) which caused the meter to shake, and once Champ Bear pulled the spike out, the pointer dropped to the 6th and bottom heart, causing the alarm to sound with bells and whistles.
- In the episode Songfellow Strum and His Magic Train, the Meter suddenly malfunctioned after Brave Heart Lion and Hugs & Tugs argued. This time however, the alarm didn't sound. The meter could have possibly malfunctioned due to the arguing Brave Heart and Hugs & Tugs caused.
- "The Caring Meter dropped two whole points!" - Funshine Bear alarming Tender Heart about the Meter.
- "The Caring Meter has fallen to 3. In no time, it'll fall to zero, and that's the end of Care-A-Lot!" - Good Luck Bear noticing the Caring Meter in the dangerous level.
- The Caring Meter has only dropped to zero one time, that being in the first movie.